1. How do the following main points for a speech about the achievements of Ida Wells-Barnett violate the guidelines presented in your textbook for organizing main points?
I. As a teacher, Wells-Barnett spoke out against inferior school facilities for African-American children.
II. As a journalist, Well-Barnett campaigned against lynching.
III. In the early 20th century, Wells-Barnett expanded her activities. (Points : 2)
The main points should have been arranged in causal order.
The main points don’t each deal with a separate aspect of the topic.
The main points don’t divide the topic consistently.
all of the above.
2. All of the following are basic objectives of a speech introduction except (Points : 2)
Establish credibility and goodwill.
Support your main points.
Reveal the topic of the speech.
Preview the body of the speech
Get the audience’s attention and interest.
3. Which of the following is a correctly worded main point for a speech preparation outline? (Points : 2)
What are the major types of leadership?
Two major types of leadership.
There are two major types of leadership.
Leadership: major types.
1. Which of the following elements is NOT suggested by the text as an effective method for contacting potential employers? (Points : 2)
Send a unique cover letter along with your resume to each company you apply to.
Send resumes to every company in the area.
Develop a personal network.
Conduct background research
2. Survey results indicate that the leading factor shaping interviewers’ initial impressions of the candidates is (Points : 2)
the appearance of the resume.
the clothing the candidate wears to the interview.
the candidate’s eye contact during the rapport stage of the interview.
the firmness of the candidate’s handshake.
3. Choose the best answer to the interview question, “Why should we hire you?” (Points : 2)
“I understand from your website that your most popular product is Zanos. I’ve been using Zanos for three years now. I’ve shown several of my friends how effective it is, and now they’re buying it, too. With my knowledge of the product and my enthusiasm for it, I can be a sincere and valuable sales rep.”
“I really need the money.”
“I just completed my Associate Degree, and I’m ready to work.”
“I am a hard-working, motivate, people-person.”
1. When the general purpose of your speech is to _____, you act primarily as a teacher or lecturer. (Points : 2)
2. Here are the main points for an informative speech about the anatomy of the human ear.
I. The outer ear includes the ear flap and the ear canal.
II. The middle ear includes the eardrum and three tiny, interconnected bones.
III. The inner ear includes the cochlea, the semicircular canals, and the auditory nerve.
These main points are arranged in ______ order. (Points : 2)
3. Which organizational method is used in a speech with the following main points?
I. Many citizens are victimized every year by incompetent lawyers.
II. A bill requiring lawyers to stand for recertification every 10 years will do much to help solve the problem. (Points : 2)
1. Which of the following is recommended by your textbook as a way to improve your listening? (Points : 2)
Try to remember everything the speaker says.
Pay close attention to feedback from other listeners.
Concentrate solely on the speaker’s gestures and eye contact.
Suspend judgment until you hear all the speaker has to say.
Do not take written notes as the speech is in progress.
2. The person who assumes a leadership role in a small group because of her or his ability, personality, or talkativeness is termed a(n) (Points : 2)
3. Three purposes of a career research interview are to (Points : 2)
get references, get referrals, write your resume.
be remembered, prepare a resume, get references
read, remember, write.
conduct research, be remembered, get referrals.
1. “Are you married, divorced, or single?” (Points : 2)
2. People spend more time __________ than in any other communication activity. (Points : 2)
3. Julia is listening to her meteorology professor explain how to interpret images from Doppler radar. Because Julia’s goal is to understand the information being presented, she is engaged in __________ listening. (Points : 2)
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.