Assignment 1: “Captain of the Ship” Project – Bipolar Disorders
Bipolar disorders are severe disorders of mood that include both depressive episodes and expansive, grandiose, or manic episodes. During these times, the person may engage in activities with little awareness of the consequences because of accompanying psychosis. A diagnosis of bipolar disorder includes periods of mania or hypomania and periods of depression where the mood is down, hopeless, and suicidal. The neurovegetative symptoms of bipolar depression can be incapacitating. It is also important to differentiate the psychosis of bipolar disorder from schizophrenia.
In this Assignment, you will become the “captain of the ship” as you provide treatment recommendations and identify medical management, community support resources, and follow-up plans for a client with a bipolar disorder.
- Recommend psychopharmacologic treatments based on therapeutic end points for clients with bipolar disorders
- Recommend psychotherapy based on therapeutic end points for clients with bipolar disorders
- Identify medical management needs for clients with bipolar disorders
- Identify community support resources for clients with bipolar disorders
- Recommend follow-up plans for clients with bipolar disorders
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select an adult or older adult client with a bipolar disorder that you have seen in your practicum.
In 3-4 pages, write a treatment plan for your client. In which you do the following:
- Describe the HPI and clinical impression for the client.
- Recommend psychopharmacologic treatments and describe specific and therapeutic end points for your psychopharmacologic agent. (This should relate to HPI and clinical impression.).
- Recommend psychotherapy choices (individual, family, and group) and specific therapeutic endpoints for your choices.
- Identify medical management needs, including primary care needs, specific to this client.
- Identify community support resources (housing, socioeconomic needs, etc.) and community agencies that are available to assist the client.
- Recommend a plan for follow-up intensity and frequency and collaboration with other providers.