12 short questions | Criminal homework help
De Blasio’s decision to add 1,300 cops came after being swayed by Commissioner Bratton’s vision for NYPD: sources
Read the article about New York City adding 1,300 new police officers.
1. Mayor De Blasio has been publicly critical of his own police department’s treatment of minorities and use of force. Why do you think the mayor agreed to hire 1,300 new police officers?
2. Does more police equal less crime?
3. Can understaffing cause increases in use of force?
4. In your own city or community, do you feel better seeing more police officers or fewer?
Include at least one link to an internet site you researched to form your discussion of each of these questions.
In the wake of controversial police shootings and use of force, there is an increased demand for accountability and transparency. Read the article from the link below.
1. Discuss the problems faced by today’s police departments that were also present during the early days of policing.
2. Distinguish between the duties of the state police, sheriffs’ departments, and local police departments.
3. Do you believe that the general public has greater respect for the police today than in the past? If so why? If not, why not? .
4. What are some of the technological advances that should help the police solve more crimes? What are the dangers of these advances?
1. Should the primary police role be law enforcement or community service? Explain.
2. Should a police chief be permitted to promote an officer with special skills to a supervisory position, or should all officers be forced to spend “time in rank”? Explain your answer.
3. Do the advantages of proactive policing outweigh the disadvantages? Explain.
4. Explain the concept of broken windows policing. Why might it be successful?