If you need a refresher, reread the instructions on how to respond to the Discussion areas in this course using the Questions, Quotations, and Talking Points (QQQTP) Approach.
The discussion for module 7 is related to communication and health literacy. For this Discussion:
- Read one of the following articles:
- Allen, M. P., Auld, E., Logan, R., Montes, J. H., & Rosen, S. (2017). Improving collaboration among health communication, health education, and health literacy. NAM Perspectives [Discussion Paper]. National Academy of Medicine.
- Bau, I., Logan, R. A., Dezii, C., Rosof, B., Fernandez, A. Paasche-Orlow, M.K., & Wong, W. F. (2019). Patient-centered, integrated health care quality measures could improve health literacy, language access, and cultural competence. NAM Perspectives [Discussion Paper]. National Academy of Medicine.
- And, reflect on your personal and professional observations when engaged in healthcare encounters when reading the article.
- While reading, take notes so you can gather information for your post. For example, as a question comes to mind be sure to write it down. Same for the quotation, when one comes along that strikes you, write it down.
- When you are done reading, take time to reflect on that reading material so that you can formulate a post to the discussion area by Thursday of the first week of the module that includes the following:
- post a question that invites analysis, synthesis, or evaluation of the reading material or makes connections between the readings and previous discussions or readings. Your classmates will answer this question.
- provide a quotation, one that is especially pertinent or relevant to the main points of the reading and one that will prompt significant discussion;
- post two (2) Talking points that you think with initiate discussion amongst your classmates. These points should show that you have thought seriously and critically about the readings. These should let your classmates “see inside your head” as to what you think, accept, reject about the reading material. Your 2 talking points should cover different topics from the readings. The purpose of formulating and posting these is to help you organize your thoughts and focus your ideas.
Now, let’s get the discussion going – you need to respond to at least 2 of your classmatesâ€™ initial discussion posts by either answering their questions or discussing their quotation or one of their talking points. At least one of your responses should be based on the article you did not address in your initial post. In addition, you need to monitor your own discussion thread and respond by dialoguing with peers and/or provide a summary at the end of the module. Remember, this is a discussion area and it is polite to respond when you receive a post. Be sure to enter the discussion regularly throughout the entire discussion. Do not wait until the last few days of the module to become active.