Research Report Search
Review the article titled â€œEffects of Environmental Factors on the Health of College Studentsâ€ (citation below) and complete the following questions:
Robinson, K. (2005). Effects of environmental factors on the health of college students. Psi Chi Journal of Undergraduate Research, 10(1), 3-8.
- Source information: Who did the research and wrote this research report? In what year was this research published? In what journal was the research report published?
- What reasons does the author give for conducting this research study?
- According to Robinson, what did Hamrick, Cohen, and Rodriguez (2005) conclude about social support and college studentsâ€™ health?
- What is locus of control?
- How is social support related to loneliness in college students?
- The introduction ends with a hypothesis, or a prediction, about what Robinson will find in the study. What is the hypothesis?
- Describe the participants in the study – what were the participantsâ€™ demographic characteristics? Based on upon the information provided about the sample, who is the population the author is focusing upon?
- What variables are being studied?
- What materials did the author use in this study?
- What procedure did the author use in this study to collect data?
- What do you think about how the participants in this study were treated? Were they treated ethically? Why or why not? Did the benefit of participating outweigh any risks they may have encountered as a result of participating? Why or why not?
- What kind of data was presented in the results section? Were there averages (means), correlations, or statistical tests? (You can just write down the letters that symbolize the tests and statistics â€“ the statistical tests will be explained to you in class.)
- What did the author find â€“ what was concluded from the data analyses? Was the hypothesis supported?
- What are some of the limitations to the study that the author noted?
- What are some of the authorâ€™s suggestions for future research studies that can follow up this study?
- What terms are difficult to understand?
- What questions do you have about this article?
- What do you think about this research â€“ would you apply the results to yourself?