- Abraham Maslow suggested that our behaviors and motivations can be explained by our status of needs – if we are lacking in certain areas, we will consciously and unconsciously focus our energies into satisfying those needs. Every now and then, it is good practice to take an inventory of your own “hierarchy” and ensure that you are engaging in activities that meet your needs and encourage overall health and well-being.
For this assignment, you will be completing a self-assessment of your current needs – are things that you are neglecting? Are there aspects of your life that are being fulfilled? This will only be reviewed by you and your professor so feel free to be honest and open about where you are at right now. This could be an opportunity to make some positive changes if you find that you need a little assistance or boost in any area.
To successfully complete the assessment, address the following:
- You will use the Hierarchy of Needs Self-Assessment Log.
- Simply open the file, evaluate each of the hierarchy categories and document the needs being or not being met.
- Really try and take a moment to consider all the needs within the category; for example, you may be in a small argument with your friend, but not realizing how much it is impacting you until you stop and think about it.
- Then consider the different action steps you can take to remedy and meet your needs and document the steps you can take within your control. Include how these steps may meet your needs in a separate page with your log. Include references to back up how the Hierarchy of Needs is useful today – or maybe you don’t find it useful…Can a person be in more than one step at a time?