In this assignment, you will conduct a thorough review of the website for FAUâ€™s School of Communication & Multimedia Studies as well as other related resources. You will also explore various personal and professional paths that may emerge from studying communication in college. By the end of this assignment, you should have a clear understanding of how being a Communication major, minor, or just an active participant in SCMS and the FAU community can help you develop as a person and a professional.
Instructions: This assignment consists of two parts: your preliminary research and your strategic plan.
Expected length: 1 single-spaced page or two double-spaced pages (if youâ€™re not using a traditional essay format, shoot for 400-600 words)
Preliminary Research: Please read through the following websites in order to get a more thorough understanding of the BA in Communication Studies and other FAU resources.
- The homepage and all the subsections of the School of Communication & Multimedia StudiesLinks to an external site.:
- The homepage and all the subsections of FAUâ€™s â€œCareer Servicesâ€ (Links to an external site.)department
- Harvard Business Review, â€œYes, Employers do Value Liberal Arts Degreesâ€ (Links to an external site.):
Recommended Supplemental Reading:
- The FAU course catalog for 2020-21Links to an external site.
- The FAU listing of clubs and extracurricularsLinks to an external site.
- FAU Office of Study AbroadLinks to an external site.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (Links to an external site.) listing of jobs, career outlook, salary, etc.
Strategic Plan: Use any format you like (except for a single list composed of incomplete sentences) in order to map out, in detail, how you intend to use the School of Communication & Multimedia Studies and the resources available broadly at FAU to achieve your personal and professional goals. 400-600 words.
In your write-up, please be sure to address all of the following clearly, specifically, and in thorough detail (if youâ€™re using lists, you still need to use complete sentences):
(1) Which courses do you still have to take to graduate with your major (or for some of you, your minor) in Communication Studies? ***
(2) Which two to three elective SCMS courses would you most like to take if they were offered and why?
(3) Which major, minor or three courses outside of SCMS are most relevant to your personal/professional interests and why might you take those courses or minor in that subject?
(4) What extracurriculars, study abroad options, internship opportunities, and/or student jobs exist in and around campus that intersect with your professional and/or academic interests and why?
(5) What are your personal/professional goals that you hope to achieve through the BA in Communication (or through the minor / other SCMS courses). (e.g. what do you â€œwant to be when you grow upâ€?) and why?
*** If you arenâ€™t majoring or minoring in Communication Studies, thatâ€™s fine. Complete Question 1 using your own major requirements, e.g. English or Political Science.
Completion of this activity will provide you with an effective plan for success in your college degree and a solid start for career goals. Aligns with Module objectives 1-5.
Mapping My Major
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCourse Layout
Identifies courses needed to complete degree
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCourse work outside of major
Identifies courses outside of major which will support studies and potential career options
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeExtracurricular Activities
Identify extracurricular opportunities within the FAU environment that will support your degree and may offer potential career opportunities.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeElective Courses in Field
Identify 2 or 3 elective courses within your field that you would like take if offered, and why.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePersonal and Professional Goals
Identify personal and professional goal that will be supported by completing this degree.
|Total Points: 150|