Each student will be required to write a five page term paper (not including a title page, abstract page, and reference page) that describes a psychological disorder from a biopsychosocial perspective. Students will be required to describe the disorder in terms of symptoms, describe biological, psychological, and social causes of the disorder and include information about treatment.
- Students will selected one psychological disorder when completing Thinking Assignment 1. You selected one of the following topics:
- schizophrenia spectrum disorder
- bipolar I disorder
- Bipolar II disorder
- major depressive disorder
- separation anxiety disorder
- specific phobia
- panic disorder
- hording disorder
- reactive attachment disorder
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- pica in children
- pica in adults
- anorexia nervosa
- bulimia nervosa
- erectile disorder
- female orgasmic disorder
- intermittent explosive disorder
- alcohol-related disorders
- opioid-related disorders
- cluster A personality disorders (you must pick one: paranoid personality, schizoid personality, schizotypal personality)
- Symptoms may be described in terms of emotional symptoms, cognitive symptoms, behavioral symptoms, somatic symptoms, and impairment in social and occupational functioning.
- Biological explanations may include the following: Brain structure and function, genetics, hormones, evolution/natural selection, neurotransmitters (oversupply, under supply, dysfunction)
- Psychological explanations may include the following: Learning, memory, personality traits, cognition (thought patterns), trauma/stress, emotion/mood
- Sociocultural explanations may include the following: Gender roles, socioeconomic status, locations (city or rural), school/education, cultural values, poverty
- Treatment may include medications, cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy, group therapy, client centered therapy
You will use the same five articles that you used when completing the Thinking Assignment 1 (Annotated Bibilogrpahy).
NOTE: Books and Websites of any kind are not allowed for this class.
The paper must be formatted entirely in APA formatting. This includes a title page with running head, abstract page, and reference page with APA formatted references, in-text citations, 12 point Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins on all sides. A minimum of five scholarly peer reviewed sources must be used to research the information for the paper.
The paper must be written in the student’s own words. The paper may not contain more than two direct quotes. Each quote must be no more than one full sentence.
Each paper will be analyzed using either a Safe Assign or a TurnItIn dropbox. The paper’s originality score must at 25% or lower. Any paper that scores higher than 25% on the originality report will receive a score of a zero. Remember that if you turn in your paper early and your originality score is too high you can revise and resubmit until the due date has passed.
While personal knowledge/experience may have lead you to select a specific disorder, please do not include personal stories or experiences. This paper must utilize research studies that have studied thousands of individuals.