As an organizational consultant for Walden Sports, it is your responsibility to decide on appropriate instruments to measure various organizational constructs. In this week’s Discussion, you used your observations to identify constructs of organizational commitment. Now, you want to learn how to build competencies. You need to objectively measure the organizational commitment construct to determine the actual levels of commitment inside the organization. One of the most popular instruments to measure organizational commitment was developed by Meyer and Allen (1991). They hold that organizational commitment is a multidimensional construct comprised of three components: affective, normative, and continuance commitment.
Your role in this Assignment is to critically analyze the Meyer-Allen instrument and its purpose. As you start to work on this task, think about why you would use this measure and consider the reliability and validity evidence that exists for the instrument. Without good data, it can be difficult to make good recommendations to your client. Understanding the use and purpose of an instrument can increase the credibility of the findings.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Familiarize yourself with aspects the Meyer-Allen three-component instrument. Consider the instrument’s applicability for assessing organizational commitment.
- Review the article “Examination of the Relationships Between Servant Leadership, Organizational Commitment, and Voice and Antisocial Behaviors.” Reflect on an expanded view of the Meyer-Allen instrument that includes servant leadership and other leadership styles that can influence employee commitment.
- Review the article “Affective Commitment as a Core Essence of Organizational Commitment: An Integrative Literature Review.” Think about how much affective commitment can predict and influence organizational consequences.
- Review the article “Assessing Cross-National Invariance of the Three-Component Model of Organizational Commitment: A Cross-Country Study of University Faculty.” Consider how the article extends the Meyer-Allen three-component measure.
By Day 7
Submit a 3 page paper (not including references and title page) evaluating and critically analyzing the Meyer-Allen instrument in terms of the following:
- Explain why the Meyer-Allen instrument is appropriate for measuring organizational commitment. Outline aspects that highlight its value as a measure of commitment.
- Describe the scale anchors used to score the instrument.
- Describe the psychometric properties (reliability and validity) of the instrument.
- Provide an example item from the Meyer-Allen instrument that could be included in a diagnostic survey of your design and explain why.
- Lastly, after your critical analysis, state whether you would or would not use the three-component model to assess organizational commitment and why.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.