Hematocrit: 32. Mean Corpuscular Volume: 105
White Blood Cell Count: 11,500 with a normal differential count
Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate: 35 mm/hr (Normal 0-20 mm/hr)
- Explain the value of knowing that Shannon’s symptoms were not related to dairy products or the fact that she had not traveled recently.
- What is the normal hematocrit for females? What is the normal mean corpuscular volume for red blood cells? Based on this information, would you say that Shannon has a microcytic or macrocytic anemia?
- Shannon’s case has two major clues that implicate a specific vitamin deficiency causing her anemia. What are the clues?
- What abdominal or pelvic organs might produce right lower quadrant pain?
- What is the name of the disease that Shannon has in her intestines? Give evidence to support your diagnosis.