To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the article, “Washington’s Sexually Violent Predator Law:Legislative History and Comparisons With Other States.” Think about how historical and forensic psychological research contributes to the establishment of law and policy.
- Review the article, “Stalking: Lessons From Recent Research.” Pay particular attention to how research is used to influence community action and thereby affect public policy.
- Review the article, “Sexually Violent Predator Evaluations: Empirical Evidence, Strategies for Professionals, and Research Directions.” Consider how the findings described in this article might be helpful in influencing or setting public policy.
- Using the Walden Library, identify and review a psychological research study that you believe has influenced a change in public policy or law.
- Reflect upon the population studied, the key data and results, and other important takeaways of the research study.
- Think about how this research study might influence public policy and/or law in forensics or in forensic settings.
Post a brief summary of the research study you selected. Be sure to include the population studied, key data and results, and other important takeaways of the article. Then, explain how a forensic psychology professional might use the results of the study to influence public policy and/or law in forensics or in forensic settings.