As someone knowledgeable about research on children with exceptionalities, you have been given the task of presenting a report to the court on your arguments for and against people with intellectual disabilities raising children.
Do the following:
- Launch the online library (under Academic Resources).
- Select Find Videos.
- Select Filmakers Library Online.
- In the search box, type “is love enough” and click Go.
- The first result should be Is Love Enough? directed by Tom Puchniak. Review this video.
Analyze the historical, legal, and ethical issues in the video. Make sure you include the following in your analysis (in an order that flows well in your paper):
- Compare the historical trends related to people with disabilities. How would outcomes be different fifty years ago for the people in the movie?
- Compare the differences from about ten years ago when the movie was produced to today.
- Explain how far we have come and what still needs to be addressed (such as terminology, acceptance, and support).
- Explain how laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the IDEA influence these decisions.
- Identify the ethical principles that might apply to the situation. Consider the professional ethics codes, including the following:
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx
- American Counseling Association. (2005). ACA code of ethics. Alexandria, VA: Author. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/ethics
- Synthesize your research and create two arguments: one for and one against parents with intellectual disabilities raising children. Consider the perspectives of the parents as well as the children. Use evidence and examples from research, utilizing your assigned readings, and at least two peer-reviewed articles on this topic to support your argument.
- Given what you learned in the video, your assigned readings, and research you found, recommend supports or interventions for the following:
- The family
- Within the community for the family and child
- The school
- Although this video focused on those with intellectual disabilities, generalize the issues to other exceptionalities.
- Conclude your paper with a review of current thinking for and against people with exceptionalities raising children, based on the sources used.
Write a 8–9-page paper (not counting the title page, abstract, or reference page) in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Be sure to include a title page, abstract, and reference page also in APA format.