Assume the role of a manager in a local public health office located in your community. Public health problems exist in every community, and your job in this scenario is to help your staff understand how to create a qualitative research proposal to address any problem they might confront. You will be developing an exemplar or model proposal for your staff to use in their professional development training. Choose a new public health problem in your community, different from the problem addressed in Unit 6 (obesity), and propose a qualitative research method to study the problem.
- Competency 1: Select quantitative and qualitative data collection methods appropriate for a given public health context.
- Apply qualitative research methods appropriate in a current public health context.
- Identify key ethical issues applicable to a specific research method.
- Propose a source of funding for a qualitative research project and a time frame for completing the research.
- Competency 2: Interpret results of data analysis for public health research, policy, or practice.
- Assess the importance of a public health problem.
- Competency 3: Apply key theoretical constructs to social and behavioral sciences research and the dissemination of research findings.
- Apply an accepted public health theory or model to a public health problem.
- Create a plan to communicate public health research findings