For this assignment, consider how macro social work techniques can fit into your practice and how you can integrate these to make a difference in the communities you serve.
Prepare a brief reflection paper addressing the following:
- Begin by describing the roots of macro practice in the history and development of social work as a profession/discipline.
- Describe how macro fits within your ethical obligations as a social worker.
- Explain how the development of the Internet and access to public databases and records have influenced macro practice. What ethical problems are presented by this use of technology and how might you address these issues.
Support your assignment with at least three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including seminal articles, may be included.
Length: 3-5 pages, not including title and reference pages
Prepare for this discussion by using Census data from American
FactFinder to analyze the different facets of your community. Consider the following questions as you explore the material:
- What is the population size (the total number of persons living in a designated community), density (the ratio of people living within a particular space), and heterogeneity (the extent to which community members have diverse characteristics)?
- What businesses, factories, and other sources of employment characterize the community?
- What are the median income levels for men, women, and the largest racial/ethnic groups? How do they compare?
- What percentage of people live in poverty?
- What are housing conditions like in the community?
Based on the information you found, post a discussion to analyze the overall functioning of the community. Referring to at least one theory discussed in this week’s material or in previous classes, assess the adequacy of the various economic functions across different demographics. Provide examples to support your findings.
Length: Content post 150-200 words; response post 75-100 words.