Watch the video and answer questions: Watch this 2010 TED talk given by Daniel Kahneman on the notion of happiness. Submit responses online to the following questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRlrBl-7Yg
- Reflect on the three cognitive traps that make it difficult to think about happiness. Which one of the three cognitive traps can you identify with most and why?
- Describe the “two selves” and the characteristics. How is confusion between the two selves part of the “mess about happiness?” Share an example of a time when you can relate to this confusion.
- What is meant by the idea that a bad memory ruins the memory of the experience but not the experience itself? Share an example.
- Think of a situation in your own life that had a bad ending that dominated your lasting impression, despite a mostly neutral or positive experience.
- Describe the situation and how you might change the ending to make the lasting impressions more positive.
- How is it that we make decisions based on memories of experiences but not based on the experiences themselves and that we think of the future as anticipated memories?
- How are happiness of the experiencing self and satisfaction of the remembering self really different?