Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please complete the assigned readings in your textbook. You may also wish to consider some of the recommended resources for this week. For the Final Paper you will address issues, analyze challenges, and assess effectiveness for correctional institutions within the context of the following scenario:
You work as an upper-level administrator in a department of corrections for a fictional or other scholarly or credible resources to support your assignment.
Your superior has also asked you to explain cultural sensitivity and diversity awareness issues as well and to consider the effectiveness of public and private institutions for corrections.
To help you explore functions, issues, objectives in corrections through the six assignment prompts for your Final Paper you may consider optional sources referenced in the Final Project Scenario and References interactive resource, see below, in addition to other scholarly or credible sources.
As noted below your paper must use at least five sources in addition to the course text. Also, at least three of the five must be scholarly and two may be credible resources. Note that of the three scholarly sources, at least two must be obtained from the University of Arizona Global Campus Library.
The purpose of the Final Paper is to consider functions, issues, and objectives in corrections. Your paper needs to address each of the following six elements:
- Explain functions (in terms of goals and activities) of a historical state correctional system and functions of a contemporary state correctional system.
- To assist you with this part, you could consider your textbook’s discussion of historical correctional systems. You may also consider state department of corrections websites and/or other relevant scholarly or credible resources.
- Analyze criminal justice issues for corrections personnel and the constitutional rights of offenders relevant to punishment, rehabilitation, treatment, and supervision.
- To assist you with this part, you could consider issues relating to administrative objectives and duties for corrections personnel and issues relating to constitutional rights of incarcerated persons.
- Examine impacts of incarceration and social justice issues for at least one correctional institution in the case file and at least one private correctional institution.
- For private institutions, you could draw on your textbook and/or other scholarly or credible sources that address privatization of corrections.
- Examine cultural sensitivity and diversity awareness issues relevant to one or more of the following settings: jails, prisons, or community corrections.
- You may wish to consider scholarly or credible sources that you used to address any cultural sensitivity issues and diversity issues from your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights assignment.
- Analyze at least two methods of alternative sentencing utilized by one or more of the correctional systems in the case file.
- You could also consider alternative sanctions such as electronic monitoring, halfway houses, and/or other types of community corrections mentioned in your textbook.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of at least one correctional institution in the case file and of at least one private institution.
- To help you with this part, you may wish to consider effectiveness regarding one or more of the following: security, costs, recidivism, social justice interests, and/or other measures relevant to correctional goals.
When consulting resources, examine statistical data and analyses to inform your positions and any other scholarly or practical references that lend credibility to the project and the findings presented.
Explore Outlining (Links to an external site.) from the Writing Center to help formulate your paper. Please do not type the instructions into your paper. Use formal college-level writing techniques to construct logical paragraphs.
*Note: You are encouraged to integrate any feedback from your instructor and upload the assignment to your ePortfolio (Links to an external site.).
The Functions, Issues, and Objectives in Corrections Final Paper
- Must be eight to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font