For this assignment, you will develop and deliver a 10–15 minute powerpoint seminar/workshop aimed at the teen or young adult audience on a specific health risk associated with the population.
* If you predominantly work with a specific population and would like to present a relevant health risk seminar to that population, you must seek instructor approval in advance. Email your instructor through the Virtual Office.
- Choose a health risk associated with adolescence. Some categories to consider may include:
- Substance use and abuse
- Motor vehicle crashes
- Tobacco use
- Sexually transmitted disease
- Domestic violence
- Mental health issues
- Eating disorders
- Nutrition and fitness
- As the health care advocate, you will present the following to the target audience (adolescents or young adults)in 10-15 slides or screens:
- An overview of the risk factor
- Contributing factors
- Prevalence of the health risk (meaningful data)
- Explain your role with the issue as a health care practitioner/advocate
- Ways to identify a problem and address the issue
- Present an activity or project or exercise for the audience to engage in related to the topic
- Help and support resources
- In your research materials, incorporate 3–4 current sources with one containing the most current statistics.
- Use age-appropriate creativity to ensure the message gets across to the selected audience. As you plan your seminar, consider:
- How will you initiate a conversation (rather than give a lecture)?
- How will you keep the attention and respect of this audience?
- Use APA for citing and referencing your sources.
- Keep your design and audio appropriate to the audience, yet professional. Your presentation must include both audio and visual components and be professional in nature.
What is a seminar? (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)