Each student will be responsible for researching and learning about various terms related to fashion, fashion history, and the fashion industry that appear in the Dot Magazine article and answering a question about each. Some of your answers may be found within the article itself, others will require research online.
When you download the article, youâ€™ll notice a yellow highlight on several words, indicating important terms, people, places, and events. Using the highlighted article as a guide, each student will be responsible for doing research into each of these terms to gather a basic understanding of and grounding in the fashion world.
QUESTIONNAIREï¼šï¼ˆuse your own world to interpret the terms)
1. What is meant by the terms â€œFashionismâ€ and â€œPost-Fashionismâ€? Who came up with
2. Who was Edward Steichen?
3. What was â€œPictorialismâ€? Please describe.
4. Who was Baron Adolph de Meyer?
5. What is meant by the term â€œOrientalismâ€?
6. Who was the person known as CondÃ© Nast? What is his legacy?
7. Describe the three publications known as Vogue magazine, Vanity Fair magazine, and
Harperâ€™s Bazaar magazine (US editions). What do they have in common? Whatâ€™s different?
8. Who was the person known as William Randolph Hearst? What is his legacy?
9. Who was George Hoyningen-Huene?
10. Who was Coco Chanel? What is her legacy?
11. What is meant by the term â€œAndrogynyâ€?
12. Who was Martin MunkÃ¡csi? What is his legacy?
13. Who was Carmel Snow? What is her legacy?
14. Who was Diana Vreeland? What is her legacy?
15. Who was Alexey Brodovich? What is his legacy?
16. Who was Richard Avedon? What is his legacy?
17. Who was Christian Dior? What is his legacy?
18. What was â€œThe New Lookâ€ in fashion history?
19. Describe the image Dovima with Elephants, Evening Dress by Dior, Cirque dâ€™Hiver, Paris,
August, 1955. Who made this image?
20. What is meant by the phrase â€œThe Unity of Oppositesâ€?
21. What is meant by the phrase â€œCognitive Dissonanceâ€?
22. Who was Suzy Parker?
23. Who was Twiggy?
24. Who was Veruschka?
25. Describe the image Veruschka in Yves Saint Laurent Safari Jacket. Who made this image?
26. Who was Yves Saint Laurent? What is his legacy?
27. Describe the image China Machado, Evening Pajamas by Galitzine, London, 1965. Who
made this image?
28. Who was China Machado?
29. Who is Grace Mirabella? What is her legacy?
30. Who was Helmut Newton? What is his legacy?
31. What is meant by the phrase â€œgender displayâ€?
32. What is meant by the term â€œcisgenderâ€?
33. What is meant by the term â€œdecadenceâ€?
34. What is French Vogue magazine? How is it different from the US edition?
35. Who is Bruce Weber? What is his legacy?
36. Who was Andy Warhol? What is his legacy?
37. Who were the â€œbig 5â€ â€™80s/â€™90s supermodels?
38. Who was Herb Ritts? What is his legacy?