Role of IT in Organizations:
There are two parts to this activity. The first part involves researching concrete examples of organizations using technology to reinvent themselves in some manner. The second part will be to look for generalized themes from those examples and develop a summary of what you learned about the impact of IT on organizations through your research.
Part 1: Identify Reinvention Stories
You will first need to find three (3) examples of organizations (business, non-profit, government agency, etc.) that have successfully transformed themselves (or a large portion of their operations) in the last 5-10 years through the effective use of information technology. After finding and researching as much as you can about these examples, document your findings that you organize into short summaries for inclusion in your assignment submission. Each summary should be concise, but tell the story and include the following elements:
- Name of the organization and related URLs.
- The type of organization (business, non-profit, government, etc.) and a little about the nature of what they do.
- A description of the technology-oriented business transformation they pursued including: why they did it, how they did it, and the resulting outcomes.
- Your own observations on what went well and where they may have stumbled. How could they have done better and where should they be going next?
Part 2: Identify Common Themes of Success
After researching and summarizing your example Reinvention Stories above, you should use them to identify common themes related to how organizations successfully leverage technology to grow, reinvigorate or even reinvent themselves. You should identify 2 themes and provide supporting narrative of each theme that includes the following elements:
- Description of the theme.
- Why you identified this theme.
- How organizational attributes, culture, or behaviors either support the success of the theme or impede the theme.
The supporting narrative for your themes should be added to your Reinvention Stories as part of a single document that you submit as your work on this assignment. This length of this entire report (both parts) should be be addressed in 800-1,000 words. It should also reflect good writing, readability, spelling/grammar, and above all, original work on your part. The completed report, including all citations, should be written using APA format and posted to this assignment folder by the due date specified with this assignment.