the foundational skills covered in the course Fundamentals of Counseling, explored the assessment process and how to develop initial case conceptualizations from the information gathered, and emphasized the importance of self-awareness and feedback as you develop clinical judgment as a developing counselor. This assignment will help you develop an initial case conceptualization of a client’s issues and identify strategic interview leads that could facilitate additional client disclosure of important information.
Read the case vignette provided below:
After completing your readings for this module, in a minimum of 500 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- Give a preliminary diagnosis for Jim using the current version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), depending on the information provided.
- Develop an initial case conceptualization for Jim, including the following components:
- List the problem behaviors or symptoms that Jim demonstrates or describes.
- List the impairments as a consequence of his symptoms (i.e., social, academic, and occupational).
- Describe any individual and environmental strengths and resources present in the vignette; include additional areas you would wish to explore if they are not included in the vignette.
- Briefly conceptualize Jim’s case utilizing a particular theoretical model. On the basis of the model selected, hypothesize how his problems may have developed and may be maintained at this time.
- Identify aspects of the developmental context of the case that may affect Jim’s behavior.
- Identify aspects of the sociopolitical and/or cultural context that may affect Jim’s behavior.
- Identify potential ethical issues that may need to be monitored or addressed.
- List five interview leads that you would utilize in an initial assessment interview with Jim that pertain directly to the presenting issue(s) and that would elicit additional important client information. These might be questions (“What are some of the specific things that have changed for you since you have been feeling anxious?”) or statements (“Give me three words that your close friends or family members would use to describe you.”), but the point is to come up with specific leads you could use with Jim to obtain additional important information from him.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the NLU University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).