Read carefully the sections in Through Women’s Eyes, â€œPrimary Sources: European Images of Native American Women,â€ and “Primary Sources: Depictions of ‘Family’ in Colonial America”. Remember that these images were created by English and European men. Here is what I would like you to do:
- Choose two of the images and discussions about them, and discuss the daily lives of the women in these pictures. Make sure the images you choose are of women of different ethnic and economic backgrounds.
- What kinds of work did they do?
- What were their family lives like?
- How did they relate to the men in their cultures?
- Discuss how the views and attitudes of the artists who created these images affected the ways women and children are portrayed in these pictures.
- What assumptions did the artists make about Native American and slave women?
- About the relationships of white women to their husbands and fathers?
- Are those perceptions accurate?