You will develop and write a 2â€“4 page a case study report on a child 0â€“2 years of age to examine and assess language development milestones. Preferably this child will be an ELL, a child with low social economic status, or a child with a special need. You will interview a parent or guardian to obtain family background information and language and literacy practices at home. You will also interview a teacher for the childâ€™s language development in the early learning environment. List what is in the center that will help children develop language and what they need to add.
Then you will engage in a planned activity with the child that reflects a specific age-appropriate language development milestone. Assess the activity using a checklist. Outline the stage of language development the child is in. Align your assessment with language development theory. Finally, you will recommend strategies for both the teacher and the parent/guardian that will support the childâ€™s language development.
Using the Language Development Case Study Template [DOCX] Download Language Development Case Study Template [DOCX], complete the following:
- Complete the Language Development Checklist for a child 0â€“2 years:
- Gather information by interviewing the teacher and a parent or guardian.
- Spend time observing the child and interacting with them.
- Summarize your findings.
- Design and conduct a language development activity:
- Aligns to a theoretical framework and explain its alignment.
- Describe how this activity addresses the childâ€™s specific needs.
- Recommend strategies for next steps and adaptations for the teacher to implement:
- Align the strategies with the findings of your assessment.
- Align the strategies to NAEYC curriculum standards.
- Develop communication for the parent or guardian about your findings:
- Create a communication that is ethical and employs empathy.
- Include strategies they can use to support the childâ€™s language development.
- Include this as an appendix to your report.
- Reflect on your experience with this process including areas of success and areas of growth:
- Include what went well and what you would do differently.
- Reflect on what you learned from this experience.
- Consider the impact of the theory framework you used on your experience.
- Communicate in a scholarly, professional manner:
- Use current APA style to integrate relevant examples and supporting research.
- Writing should be clear, well-organized, and free of grammatical errors.